First of all, you should know that Dynasty of the Magi represents an unique app for the iPhone platform that ingeniously combines two fun genres, namely the MPO games and the interactive, fantasy eBook. Launched in Austin, Texas at the half of December 2012, this ground-breaking app comes from an incredible idea all Dungeons & Dragons fans will fall in love with. The gamer gets to solve critical quests in the MMO game and hence, have an active role in influencing the plot of the books and obviously, of the series. And, that’s just one of the perks of the promising literary immersive MMO game genre, as you are about to find out.
Even though the PoetCode LLC developers have worked for almost 15 years to see their childhood dream come to life with Dynasty of the Magi, sadly the idea of merging a fantasy book series with a massive multiplayer online game was not that well received by the publishers. However, the team lead by Derrick Garvin did not give up and has diligently worked on finding the perfect solution to put their idea into practice. Despite the fact that their game is available for any iOS user, the developers state that this is just the tip of the iceberg and there are still many things they can do to improve Dynasty of the Magi.
Since you are probably expecting the game to integrate an impeccable 3D graphics, it is sufficient to state that you won’t be disappointed. The real surprise here comes from the eBook’s high interactivity that allows you to check out your character directly on the map.
A quick look at its main features
- In order to play Dynasty of the Magi, you need to make sure your device meets the following minimum system requirements: 455 MB, iOS 4.0, 3rd generation iPad integrating Wi-Fi
- It is essentially compatible with devices that permit you to play over a network, namely Wi-Fi, Edge or 3G/4G networks
- The games as well as the 11 books it contains can be found free of charge on the Apple Store
- As previously mentioned, the app practically introduces a new game genre on the market – the liMMO
- Dynasty of the Magi comes with an impressive massive online campaign world
- Allows you to unlock new books and games by completing quests that are critical to the story’s plot
- The outcome of the books can be directly controlled by the player’s actions
- The game includes standard elements of the MMORPG genre, namely the leveling system, guild co-ops, tournaments, PVP, character customization, quests and factions (you can play as the protagonist or antagonist of the books)
- While it is considered a MMO, you can play solo just as efficiently
- Allows you to stay in touch with your friends’ progress over the major social networks
- The Magi system is based on the Ancient Egyptian mythology
- The eBooks incorporate interactive maps and illustrations, 3D models, glyph hunt and magi sight
The ingenuity of the concept behind Dynasty of the Magi is a very big plus for this application. While you get the feeling that you are playing a MMORPG, the twist comes from the fact that your actions directly affect the plot and the outcomes. Add an incredible 3D graphic to this equation and you got yourself an app you can’t afford to miss out.
Unfortunately for the developer, Dynasty of the Magi was a Kickstarter project that did not manage to reach the campaign’s goal, set at $50,000. The implications of this aspect are currently unknown and some fans fear that the liMMO could contain numerous bugs, have poor maintenance and/or not receive sufficient updates and fixes. Nonetheless, it is necessary to point out the fact while the Kickstarter campaign ended on 21st of December 2012, the funding was mostly intended for integrating an Android port. As far as iOS users are concerned, the game works just fine according to the players.
In a nutshell
Dynasty of the Magi comes with a pioneering idea in the gaming application market and rises up to the high graphic demands of the modern users. Considering it is free of charge, you have all the good reasons to check it out.