Even though an iPhone or an iPad allows you to have your entire music collection at your fingertips and listen to your favorite tunes/artists anytime and anywhere, some users might miss that conventional randomness specific to traditional radio stations at times. Fortunately, nostalgic users now have a good way of relaxing and remembering the good old times, namely the iHeartRadio app. As the name suggests, the app is essentially a live radio station finder that allows you to search for and listen to your favorite music genre anytime and anywhere.
The developer of the app is none other than Clear Channel Radio, a company that needs no further introduction, at least in the United States.
iHeartRadio’s interface is amazing and has even been optimized to display perfectly on the slightly larger screen of the iPhone 5. In order to get started, you should touch the button located in the lower part of your device and start browsing through radio stations, artists’ bio, set up your alarm clock or purchase a certain tunes from iTunes. In the eventuality that you get bored of listening to a certain genre, then use the app to find less familiar artists and songs to include in your playlist via the same button in the lower part.
If you really enjoy a song that you have just listened to on one of the radio station you can always give it a thumbs-up, hence determining the app to find similar tunes. Moreover, in case you want to share it with your friends, then tap on the button on the far right corner and it will be posted on Facebook.
A quick look at its main features
- This amazing tool is able to stream over 850 coast-to-coast live radio stations
- The wide variety of radio stations include pop, country, rock as well as talk radio and college stations
- Allows you to set up an alarm clock for a smoother and more enjoyable wake-up to your favorite music genre
- The alarm clock features a snooze option
- The app integrates filters that let you select radio stations by genres as well as location
- iHeartRadio permits users to create their own radio station which they can listen to for free and without any interruptions
- Thanks to the apps’ January update, users can enjoy the “Perfect For” feature, an option that lets the application search for a radio station suitable for the user’s current activity
- In order to access the app, users must log in via their emails or Facebook account
- The display has been optimized to match the new iPhone 5 screen perfectly
- If you enjoy falling sleeping to music, then you can leave it on the Sleep Timer feature to turn the app off after you doze off
The neatest thing about this app is that the developers took the term “live radio” to the next level. To put it simply, you will be amazed by the loading and buffering speed on each radio station, irrespective of whether you have access to a 3G or Wi-Fi connection. And, once you open the app, you get to browse through thousands of radio stations in your area or any city you prefer. Furthermore, since the iHeartRadio features over 400,000 artists and 11 million tunes in its catalog, you can be certain to find your favorite genre or artist and music suitable for your mood and activity.
While iHeartRadio does not feature ads, it is necessary to mention that you will listen to commercials, radio promotions and DJ announcements. The reason why this happens is because you are actually listening to old-fashion radio stations. Due to the exact same cause, you will not be able to skip or pause songs as with other music apps such as Last.fm and Pandora for instance.
In a nutshell
If you are looking for an app that allows you to listen to music, sports or talk radio, but are not willing to invest too much cash and effort, then iHeartRadio might be the tool you were looking for. In addition to being free and featuring a plethora of radio stations, you will discover numerous other nice features with iHeartRadio, features that aren’t normally available for other apps in this category.